A good chicken chili is a staple for the winter season. This Southwest Chicken Chili is the perfect mix of spiciness and warm comfort food. Dress it up with fun toppings or enjoy just as it is.
$7.75 Recipe | $1.30 Serving
My slow cooker hasnt gotten nearly as much use lately as it should. Working from home, I have this idea that I will now be able to cook grand meals during the day to enjoy with the family each night.
*Insert the hysterical laughter from reality*
I quickly proved myself wrong and am forced to live in the reality that if I don’t prep ahead we will be eating grilled cheese once again. So out comes the slow cooker to the serious rescue.
This chicken chili recipe is literally dump and go. No cooking ahead, no sauteing or browning or making a gravy afterwards.
Dump. Set. Add Toppings. Eat.
Is that your kind of dinner too? Because it’s been magical for us.
How to Make Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili
1. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker: Chicken breast, black beans, northern beans, corn, chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilis, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and salt. Gently mix together.
2. Set the crockpot on low and cook for 6-8 hours until the chicken is easily shredable. This will also cook on high for about 4 hours .
Easy Make Ahead Tips for Crockpot Southwest Chicken Chili
The only make ahead tip for this recipe is to toss everything into the crockpot at night. This way, in the morning you can literally just insert the pot into the base and turn it on!
FAQs, Tips, and Tricks
As if this recipe wasn’t easy enough..
Can Chicken Chili be made in an instant pot?
Yes! This Southwest Chicken Chili can definitely be made in an instant pot. Just add all ingredients to the instant pot and set the pressure to high for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken to shred, then return to pot and let the chili sit in the warm pot for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Can Chili be Frozen?
Yes! Chicken chili can easily be frozen and reheated. Just add to freezer safe containers, leaving room for expansion. Store in the freezer up to 3 months.
To unthaw: Leave in the refrigerator overnight and then microwave or heat on the stove.
You can also make this a dump and go meal by freezing everything but the chicken broth together in a gallon sized freezer bag before cooking it. Remove the night before to unthaw in the refrigerator. Add to crockpot with the chicken broth and cook on low for 8 hours.
What Toppings Go With Chicken Chili?
Toppings are the best part of this chili! This is where you can customize the dish to each person’s liking. Some of our favorites include:
Corn Chips or Tortilla Chips
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
Did you make Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili?
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker
- 1.5 pounds Chicken Breast, bonesless skiness about 2 breasts
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5 oz can northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies with juices
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped peppers + sauce
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Stir gently to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Return to the slow cooker and let sit for 20 minutes to absorb the juices.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, jalapenos, cilantro, red onion, or corn chips and enjoy!
Not ready to make this chili just yet? Add this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Want more Quick and Easy Recipes? I’ve got you covered with a few tasty ones below!